NHL injury updates
Forward Jack Studnicka practiced in a no-contact jersey. He’s been up out with an upper-body injury for the past four games.
- Michael Smith: The Hurricanes already had four players injured but none are on the LTIR, They are right up against the salary cap. They dressed 11 forwards and six defensemen last night as Trocheck wasn’t able to go.
- Puck Pedia: “Teams are eligible to use emergency roster exception to call up player w/ <$1M Cap Hit & it doesn’t count against the cap if:
– No Cap Space to call-up player
– Played 1 game w/ < 18 Skaters*
* If player is out due to COVID protocol, can skip the requirement of playing 1 game short”
Shelly Anderson of Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Mike Matheson left practice early after colliding with a teammate. Coach Mike Sullivan didn’t have an update after practice as he was still being evaluated.
He wore a full face shield. He said that he is day-to-day. He lost some teeth and had a few small fractures.
Samantha Pell: Capitals Evgeny Kuznetsov practiced with the team for the first time since being added to the NHL’s COVID Protocol list back on January 20th. He said that he is feeling better now and that his heart had checked out okay.
“I’m just happy I’m alive today, and be able to practice with the team is just a big step for me.”
Stephen Whyno: Kuznetsov added: “It’s definitely not fun and it’s not easy days. Now I understand people who have symptoms or not symptoms, whatever. It’s just tough days, you know? But I’m feeling good now, and my heart is good, everything good, so I can practice hard.”